When you come to Crete this year be prepared to be interrogated by friendly hosts and hostesses when you leave. Starting in May they’ll intercept you at airports and ferry ports and will question you on your experiences. Have any complaints? Not satisfied with your tour operator? The following organizations, who fund this poll to the amount of 45000 euros, want to know about it in order to improve and further tourism development in Crete: the 4 Prefectures, the Associations of Hoteliers and the Chambers of Commerce in those same 4 prefectures, the Pancretian Association of Hotel Managers and the Regional Development Fund of Crete.
Without trying to be suggestive, let’s say that you don’t like
– the treatment of stray cats and dogs
– the destruction of all things authentic to make place for “modernization”
– the planned installation of a huge container port between Mátala and Ágia Galíni
– the invasion of the few remaining natural spots by golf courses and holiday villages
– the cost of a plain, low quality, cup of coffee in an ordinary town square
– the exploitation of immigrants in the tourism sector (talk to your chamber maid!)
then this is your chance to let those in power (and anxious for your money) know about it. Who knows, your next experience in Crete might be even better!
Happy summer holidays!