• Asynchronous digital progress

    by  • 29 December, 2007 • General • 0 Comments

    On Friday evening the line went down again around 18:30. I could see a pattern emerging here: every evening (afternoon if you’re Greek), the line would lose its sync between 17:00 and 19:00, and would remain unable to connect again for between 10 and 16 hours, until around 10:00 in the morning. During that time I tried innumerable times to contact the OTE ADSL Helpdesk at the infamous number 1242. That’s a free number, and so is the service. And it shows. When I didn’t get a busy signal right from the start, I was put in a queue only to be cut off after approximately 10 to 15 minutes (I didn’t time this with a stop-watch, it’s a rough estimate). Never, ever in those 5 days did I manage to get through to an operator. I must have tried at least a hundred times.

    Until today. The ADSL line had been up most of the day (bar the occasional few dozen drops of a few minutes each during that time) and I even managed to witness a nice download speed of close to 10Mbps at one point. That’s my justification for the title of this post, by the way. One has to remain optimistic, does one not? Anyway, someone somewhere must be monitoring and tuning this ADSL line, I think. Then at 18:37, Kaboom! Sync lost again! I tried 1242 again, without much hope, but lo and behold, I got a recorded message, not a busy signal, and 3 minutes late a human voice. I explained my case and after the obligatory questions (“are the green lights burning?”) I was told that it was a synchronization problem at the ADSL level (I had been so bold to figure that out myself, that’s why I had tried in vain to call the ADSL Helpdesk at 1242), but apparently that was the wrong move on my part: the number I had to call was 121. Who’d have known?! To be short, 121 answered with a recorded message that the service is available from Monday to Friday, 8:00 till 22:00, and on Saturday from 8:00 till 14:00. Nice. As I said, the line loses its sync after 17:00!

    Now, I don’t know about you, but isn’t that a bit obvious? Every evening the line loses its sync completely and for an extended period of time? Until the morning to be precise. And each time it starts around the time some overworked technician might call it a day and go to the kafeneion or home? I don’t know, I’ve been wrong before, okay, maybe once or twice, but this seems to be too much of a coincidence. And then, the next day, around 10 o’clock in the morning, the line is sync’ed again mysteriously, like, when that same overworked technician walks back in, frappé in one hand, sports pages of the morning paper in the other.

    Nah, can’t be it. Anyone any better suggestions?

    Leave a Reply